Sullivan & Sullivan - personal injury lawyers

Free Initial Consultation – Se Habla Español

Available 24 Hours – Call Now Or Send An Email

Dislocated joints can result in long-term consequences

On Behalf of | Dec 6, 2020 | Car Accidents |

Most people don’t expect to get into a car crash. Unfortunately, the reality is that most people will be in a crash least one time in their lives. During these crashes, it is possible to suffer serious injuries. One of the most surprising injuries you can suffer in a wreck is actually a dislocated joint.

 Dislocations happen when the joint is damaged in some way. The bones are forced out of their normal positions, which causes pain and dysfunction. In most cases, a dislocation can simply be put back into place. Then, the victim needs to go through physical therapy or other treatments to strengthen the joint again.

Unfortunately, some dislocations can have long-lasting consequences. A dislocation along the spine, for example, could result in damage to the spinal cord which could cause paralysis, weakness and other symptoms.

There is also a risk of repetitive dislocations throughout your lifetime depending on the joint that was affected in the wreck. For example, shoulders are notorious for dislocating multiple times after a first dislocation. That’s why it’s so important to get a thorough treatment plan in place and to approach the dislocation as a long-term injury.

What are the signs of a dislocated joint after a wreck?

The signs of a dislocated joint are similar to those of broken bones or sprains. You may notice intense pain, a visible deformity, discoloration or a reduction in mobility.

People who have been involved in crashes and who have symptoms like these should be taken to the emergency room for treatment. They may need a computerized tomography scan, magnetic resonance imaging scan, X-rays and other tests. Therapy and surgery may both be necessary to heal.

When you’re injured in a wreck that wasn’t your fault, you have every right to seek compensation from the party that’s liable for your suffering. An experienced advocate can help.

FindLaw Network

Free Case Evaluation

Get Help Now